Friday, August 8, 2008

A Southern Colours Project - 2



It's 10:00 a.m. and already hot. I can see that refining my drawing of the lamp and, perhaps, adding a few darks will be the extent of this session.

One thing I immediately noticed when I began scrutinizing the lamp is that I, somehow, overlooked the correct angle of both the top of the piano where these two items are sitting and the linen scarf under the lamp and letters. I hope you didn't notice that floating clock! How could I leave something so obvious out of my drawing?

Although I've worked at producing a symmetrical drawing of all those rings and round shapes on the stem of the lamp, I can clearly see that it will need a lot more attention before it is correct. Painting this lamp may prove to be even more difficult than the clock. But it is hot, my eyes are sweating, and tomorrow is our regular Southern Colours painting session where I always get a lot of inspiration from my fellow artists - in an air conditioned room.

I've put a few more darks and another layer of red on the ribbon and that will be all for today. I can hardly wait to paint those crystals!