Thursday, August 28, 2008

About Rain, Crystals, and Friends

Yesterday brought just enough light to work on my Southern Colours project after several days of dark clouds and heavy rain here in parched Georgia. Meanwhile, my favorite activity has been stomping through puddles, barefoot, on the way to and from picking up the morning paper at the end of the driveway. It was dark and none of my neighbors were awake to see me, although I'm not sure that would have mattered. A two-year exceptional drought has a way of making one appreciate rain. I will never again complain about a rainy day.

In any event, when the sun peeped through briefly, I hurried to the sun porch where my art supplies reside. A stray thought just crossed my mind: Why does no one ever call it a rain porch?

The crystals have been calling me so that's where I began. Anyone who has looked closely at a crystal knows they are both clear and many-colored – quite a challenge to capture on paper with sticks of dry pigment. I'm not sure that I'm finished but my artist friends will be glad to jump in and tell me if I need to make changes. That's what friends are for.

All of us need friends who are brave enough to tell us where we are going astray and suggest what we need to do about it. Compliments go only half way. That applies to life and not just art. A real friend is one who has the courage to tell us what we would sometimes prefer to not hear. It's called truth. If you have such friends, never let them go. If you don’t have one, find one. If you aren't one, be one.