Sunday, August 17, 2008

Meet My Friend, Marie. . .


This is my friend, Marie, with her first watercolor painting. I met Marie last winter when she and her parents moved next door. Carl and I hosted a going-away party for our former neighbors combined with a welcome party for our new neighbors.

Marie and her parents expressed an interest in my art so I took them on a tour. Before the evening was over, Marie told me she wants to be an artist when she grows up and I said perhaps we could have an art lesson this summer.

While talking casually in our driveway awhile back, Marie disappeared and returned with a picture she had drawn and colored. We scheduled our art lesson for later that week.

The big day arrived. I selected Marie's Watercolor Pigment for our lesson. Marie and I talked about the importance of painting what you love. She loves flowers and butterflies. We chose flowers from the garden and put them in a blue vase. We talked about squinting and drawing shapes and Marie followed along perfectly, even drawing the "ears" on the vase. It was a perfect hour except that we forgot the butterfly so Marie painted a butterfly while she was on vacation and presented it to me afterward. It is proudly installed on our kitchen counter. Another vacation brought a special gift from Marie and her brother, Duane – real B.B. King Barbecue Sauce that is made only in Memphis. We're having it tonight on barbecued chicken.

Marie and her family have given me a great gift - the gift of friendship. I do believe Marie will be an artist when she grows up.