Monday, January 19, 2009

Finding Space For A Studio









Many of my artist friends have wonderful spacious studios with lots of storage and special lighting – both natural and enhanced. They can set up their material, get out their supplies, paint to their heart's content, and leave everything out for the next session. Up until now, I have made do with a cabinet on our sun porch.

Although the lighting is great, this has its limitations. The porch is on the west side of our house. This means that the temperature out there reaches intolerable levels on summer afternoons and a different kind of intolerable level on winter mornings, not to mention the necessity of locking out the cat.

Have you ever tried to concentrate on a painting while listening to a yowling, scratching cat whose only wish is to be out there with you while tramping through all of your art supplies? White cat + oil paint or pastel sticks = disaster (see above). There are days when I lose my motivation after just thinking about the time it will take to get everything out and put it away again.

So. After complaining about my poor, pitiful, plight for more than ten years, it finally occurred to me that I can either spend the next ten years complaining or I can find a way to do something about it.

Those of you who know me, know that I am not fond of basements but, fond or not, it's the only space available.

Carl has already claimed the walls for his wine racks but I've negotiated with him for more of the floor space in the middle. Several years ago, he caught on that a four-foot mat cutter residing on the kitchen counter plus a perpetually disgruntled wife do not exactly contribute to marital bliss so he built a framing table and some shelves for me. Let's just say that, while he was not benevolent about giving up his space, his good nature finally won out and, in the interest of marital harmony, he is willing to share a little bit more of it.

My work has begun. I am clearing every single item off every single shelf and going through every single art bag that I own. Every item now residing in that space has to find a new home if it isn't related to my art. Hello, American Kidney Foundation and thanks for taking those old beach chairs this morning.

Meanwhile, I keep telling myself that I will enjoy painting in the basement with no natural light. I'm kind of like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz except that my mantra is "There's no place like the basement. There's no place like the basement. There's no place like the basement." I'm just positive that I will someday find myself saying, "There's no place like my studio. There's no place like my studio. There's no place like my studio," and I will love it. Someday.