Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Make-Do Studio

HERE IT IS!

Everything is finished except that I need to redirect the overhead can lights, some of which have color corrected bulbs. I even have space to step back from my easel. That's a basic necessity for me for I simply cannot paint sitting down. And notice that empty shelf space. Ta da! I can set up still life arrangements to my heart's content. At eye level or not, as I choose. I do plan to add a cushion to my Mom and Dad's old captain's chair so I can sit and contemplate the different stages of my paintings. Sometimes I spend as much time contemplating as I spend painting so I need a comfortable chair and it pleases me that a little bit of my parents will be in my studio with me.

Although you don't see them, I have two standing, color-corrected lamps for when I am painting. This ensures that my paintings won't be either too yellow from incandescent light or too blue from fluorescent light. My artist friends already know this but the rest of you need to understand just how much thought goes into creating works of art.

Although I consider myself knowledgeable about most of this stuff, my artist friend, Beth Stallings, gave me a wonderful hint that I didn't have before. One of those standing floor lamps should be directed at my painting and the other one should be directed at my palette to ensure balance. This makes perfect sense but it is not something I've been practicing. Thanks, Beth!

Each week's blog brings several responses. After reading last week's blog, my friend, Ken Crouch, who lives in Arizona and Ohio, wryly observed, "With such close access to Carl's wine supply who knows what great works of art will surface in the future?" Since my alcohol consumption is usually only one glass of wine per sitting, I'm afraid Ken's theory won't be tested any time soon but it's an interesting thought. This is a good place to say that Carl is just pleased that I have finally removed my hanging trash bag from the necks of some of his wine bottles.

The process of cleaning and arranging has taken up all of my spare time this week so I haven't had time to try out my new space. Maybe this weekend.

I can hardly wait.


P.S. Notice my unique hanging system for unframed paintings. Where there's a will, there's a way.