Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Favorite Things


I have finally finished my Southern Colours project. It will be a long time before I choose such complicated subject matter again. Believe it or not, the most difficult part was addressing the envelopes because of the perspective and the difficulty of making such fine lines with pastel. The elements I included in this painting are: clock, fabric, flower, seedpod, metal, and pepper.

I paint what I love and the objects in my painting reflect that. I've already talked about the clock. There's something about the quiet tick-tock and the hourly chimes that make our house feel cozier somehow. The lamp is one of a pair from the 1920s. I love the way the frosted globes make the crystals glow. The scarf beneath the letters is one that belonged to my mother-in-law who loved to embroider. The letters are actually past orders for my book, "Everyone's A Whittington," but I changed one address to Pepperdine University just for fun because pepper was one of the elements from which to choose. The other letter is from Shirley Prunty, my still forever-friend who went to elementary school with me when we both lived in the tiny town of Leon, West Virginia..

Paintings sometimes take on a life of their own. When I began this painting, I had no idea what time would be reflected in the hands of the clock. By the time I got to the last day of the painting, the only time that seemed right was twenty minutes till eleven. It wasn't a time I chose for any particular reason. When Carl saw it he said, "That's the time you finished the painting; right?" He was correct but I had decided on the time without knowing what time I would finish. It is also twenty minutes before the time we were married. The painting makes me remember how I was feeling at that time on that day so many years ago. My feelings haven't changed. There's a lot more to art than meets the eye.