Saturday, September 20, 2008

Favorite Teachers

Do you have great memories of a favorite teacher? Did any of your teachers influence your life? If you are a teacher, do you wonder about your legacy in your chosen field?

Last year, after receiving the same "friendship" quiz for what seemed like the hundredth time, I decided to create a friendship quiz that would tell me something more than where my friends were born, their middle names, and favorite foods and colors – most of which I already knew. It is a quiz that, when finished, is nice to share with children and spouses as well as friends. Creating such a quiz was more difficult than I originally thought. This is not a quiz one sends to everyone on his or her mailing list.

One of my friends has pondered over my quiz since last October. When I finally received her answers a couple of weeks ago, I went back and re-read the answers from other friends who have responded.

One of the questions is: Who was your favorite elementary school teacher and why? Today I am going to share a few memories of favorite elementary school teachers. To all of you dedicated elementary school teachers out there; you did make a difference. Thank you.


Some favorite teachers were:

(1) Juanita King, my 3rd/4th grade teacher who read a chapter of "Bears of Blue River" after last recess if we were good. She encouraged my love of reading (2) Lyda Smith, 6th grade teacher, who gave us art lessons with supplies she bought herself and encouraged my love of art. Both influenced my life.

Miss Mary Thuma in first grade. Even though I had to stand in the corner for talking, she became one of my most beloved teachers.

Mrs. Sweet, her name fit her perfectly. She adopted a boy when he was at least 18 and he was so proud of it and she was so proud of him. I remember that he came by the school every now and then to see her. She was a very good teacher and cared about her students. I remember we had a turtle in a bowl in the back of the class and they thought it had died. Well I got the turtle and sort of pressed on its shell kind of like CPR and the turtle started to move and woke up or whatever. She called me Doctor Sally announcing it to the class that the turtle was fine now, thanks to me.

Mrs. Teeter. Her husband was the school principal. She was just a warm, loving teacher.

Mrs. Masters was my 6th grade teacher and although I don't remember specifics I remember she was kind and had us memorize Bible verses...she was tall, thin and very "scholarly" looking; like teachers ought to be (the scholarly part I mean).


Mr.Jake Cain was my only elementary school teacher. He taught first through eighth grades in a one-room school so everything I learned was learned from him. He was a good teacher although he got a little hot under the collar sometimes if people weren't paying attention.

Ms. Ralph. She was a tough woman who loved teaching science and listened to what we all had to say. She rarely smiled but when she did, she lit up the room.

If these memories make you think of your own favorite teachers, take time to thank them if they are still around. If you'd like to take my friendship quiz, let me know and I'll send it to you. Stay tuned for those not-so-favorite teachers who also serve as examples.


P.S. Pictured above is one of my favorite teachers, Juanita King Burdette. Lyda Smith passed away several years ago but not before I told her how much she was appreciated.