Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hannah's First Art Lesson


HANNAH AND HER PAINTING

There aren't many things more satisfying to an artist than being able to pass along one's skills to a willing student. It ranks right up there with selling a painting, as far as I'm concerned.

I've already written about my little friend, Marie, who lives next door and who is so excited about learning to be a real artist. And now I've found another willing student – Greg's friend, Hannah.

One of Hannah's favorite past times is drawing. She draws just about any subject at any time when she has a few moments to spare. She was even caught drawing a picture of Greg's dog, Star, from an image on his cell phone. Believe me, that's a challenge that most artists I know would not want to take on. Many individuals who think they want to become artists begin by declaring vehemently that they hate to draw. Not Miss Hannah. She loves drawing so much that she will draw just about anything that presents itself.

A couple of weeks ago, Hannah and I devoted an afternoon to her first art lesson. I gave her a variety of potential subjects and she immediately chose the most difficult one – a camellia in full bloom with many layers of petals. After looking at the set-up through a viewfinder, Hannah chose a composition that most beginners would have avoided like the plague – an extreme close-up on a relatively large piece of paper. This girl was serious!!!

Within the blink of an eye, Hannah had her drawing finished and was ready to start her painting. With music from "Phantom of the Opera" playing in the background, she was off and running. In three short hours she made the progress you see here. One more session will finish this painting. I can't wait to see the finished product where the leaves take shape and the center of the flower will be her well-placed focal point.

Now I ask you. Is Hannah's painting not wonderful so far? Hannah understands what makes an interesting composition, using lights vs. darks, the value of squinting, painting shapes vs. objects, and how to make round things look round rather than flat. She just jumped right in and tried everything I told her. There was no holding back because she was afraid she'd mess up what she had already done. This girl has no fear!

One of these days I will be able to say, "I knew her when……" What fun!