Thursday, February 19, 2009

Little Girls













SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING NICE,
THAT'S WHAT LITTLE GIRLS ARE MADE OF.

The little girls I know come in all sizes, shapes, and colors but they have one thing in common. This little rhyme applies to all of them.

There is my niece, Laikyn Lovas, who is very grown up for her age. Laikyn will be eleven years old soon. She lives in Ohio and she always takes time to write nice thank-you notes for the Christmas gifts I send to her and her little brother. I have a whole collection of them. I wish I could see her more often.

Then there is Marie Stanford who lives next door. Marie is seven. She and I share a love of art. Marie sends me little cards and letters and she draws pictures for me. She brought me a special Valentine last week. She and I are thinking about when to schedule our next art session.

Maymuna Shawkat lives on the other side of Marie. Maymuna is also seven. She first came to my house when Marie and I were packaging up Marie's secret Christmas gift project. Maymuna appeared at my door a few days later with a book she wrote. I am now the proud owner of "A Day At The Beach" by Maymuna Shawkat, illustrated by Maymuna Shawkat.

These three little girl friends are very special to me. As we say in the South, "Their mamas are raising them right."

I am also blessed to have many big girl friends. I'm sure they started out just like Laikyn, Marie, and Maymuna - sugar and spice and everything nice. They still have it all.