Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Choosing A Christmas Tree



Carl and I began decorating our Christmas tree today.

This year we did not uphold our family tradition of picking out a live tree while arguing about the fact that I like tall and skinny trees and he likes short and fat. We did not pay an exorbitant amount for it, drag it home in the trunk of the car, bemoan the fact that the trunk was too big to go into the stand, wrestle it in the front door or become upset that it was crooked and it wasn't as fresh as it had looked.

After all of the above happened last year and we ended up with what I thought was the ugliest tree in the world while Carl, once again, declared that I could go pick it out by myself next year, I decided it was time to remove this annual stress forever. Off I went to our local garden store to look for an artificial tree without telling Carl where I was going. Keep in mind that I have frequently said that I would NEVER have an artificial Christmas tree.

An amazing array of choices met my eyes but the only trees that were close to acceptable cost a fortune that I was not about to pay. I finally chose the only tree that I thought I could hold my nose and live with. Wouldn't you know? They didn't have it in stock. The manager was called just to make sure. He offered to dismantle the display and I said no because I had already been there for more than an hour.

I explained that I hate artificial trees and was only there because I was tired of starting our Christmas season in a bad mood every year. I told him my story about our annual tree battles and then I apologized for being difficult and said, "Thanks but no, thanks."

A miracle occurred. "What about that tree?" he asked, pointing at the biggest, the best, the prettiest artificial tree of all that weighed in at about 9 feet tall with zillions of pre-installed lights and a cost of about $700. After I explained that, although it was beautiful, I was not about to pay $700 for an artificial tree, he said, "What if I let you have it for the same price as the one we don't have in stock? It will be my Christmas present to you."

Well. It took three helpers to get it in the car. I had to open the box while it was still in the car and get each section out separately. I carried them upstairs without saying a word. Carl took one look and disappeared but his curiosity finally got the best of him. Before I knew it, we were putting the tree together……together……...marveling at how easy it was.

We marveled again today and agreed that my annual trek to gather fresh greenery for the mantel, wreaths and centerpieces will make up for having a tree with no scent. After all, pine and fir boughs smell the same whether they're on a tree or on the mantel. Best of all, both of us were in a good mood.

Above is a picture of our first Christmas tree as a married couple. Notice how beautiful it was. Notice the loads of fancy ornaments. Notice the large number of gifts. Are we happier today than we were then? Nope. But we sure do have a fancier Christmas tree. It doesn't smell as good but Lily Pearl enjoys sleeping under it just the same.